Thursday, November 5, 2009
Climb the corporate ladder
Zach Buchan (30) is CEO of the Unlimited World, a company that offers insurance and lifestyle rewards. He gives young executives and professionals tips on getting ahead in their career.
1. Work to learn, don’t work to earn. Ask for feedback and, if it’s not what you’re looking for, push harder. Set your goals and work to a plan. Don’t bumble along chasing a few extra bucks.
2. One of the biggest mistakes that leaders or young professionals often make is to think they should know everything in this knowledge economy, that isn’t possible. Rather surround yourself with great people and get input. Encourage age dissent among them and let the best argument win, regardless of whose idea it is.
3. Be the CEO in your job, at whatever level. Right now great talent is scarce. Take ownership and ultimate responsibility. You will be noticed.
4. Make time to know yourself. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses? What are you passionate about? Accept your weaknesses and try to improve, but also pursue and develop your strengths and you’ll become a game changer.
5. Innovation isn’t possible without continually questioning , searching and looking at things differently. Develop a habit of asking questions, Don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know”, but then make sure that you find out! Don’t make assumptions.
6. Never Compromise your integrity and what you believe in.
—published in Destiny Man issue 2